It all started with the Puffin picture. I found this picture of
Puffins at a yard sale for $1.
I love Puffins! In case you didn’t know.
After finding the Puffin picture I decided to do a Nautical theme in the bathroom. I love the ocean, sea ports, lighthouses, etc. So I have slowly added a few items to make the effect I want.
At the fabric store I found this print with sailboats and lighthouses on it. I thought, how perfect for a roman shade in the bathroom. I checked the price. I didn’t want to spend much, mostly because it wasn’t necessary, I just thought it was such a fun print and it would look great in the bathroom. It was $8.99/yard. I thought I really only needed about a half yard to do what I wanted to do, so I decided I’d do it! I got up to the cut counter and after she cut a half yard she let me know it was 30% off.
I’m thinking, I hope this is enough to cover the window now that I have it cut.
The bathroom window is tiny. When I got home, I put the fabric up against the window. It was barely tall enough at a half yard to cover the window. The width was of the fabric was 45″ and I cut some off it to fit the width.
No measuring, I just eyeballed it.
Because it was barely tall enough, I knew I wouldn’t have enough to do a roman shade the way I usually do it. Usually I make folds at equal distances and sew a casing in the fabric I’m using for the dowel to fit through. This would be on the front side of the shade. Since I was short on fabric, I just used some bias tape I had left over from my project for my new grandbaby’s cradle. I sewed it to the back at the same location where the folds I pressed would have been casings on the front. The next step is to attach (I hot glued it) the fabric to a piece of wood at the top. I used a yard stick. It was about a dollar at Wally World. After that you hand stitch rings vertically for the string to thread through. On the yard stick I used screw eyes and then I threaded the string through. Don’t forget to put small dowels through the casings to make the folds stiff.
I forgot to mention that I just serged the edges and stitched a nice hem around the whole thing. You want to thread the string up through each set of rings and across the top so they end up on one side of the shade. That ends up being your pull string. I just knot all three of the strings I used together and there you have it.
In order to get it attached to the wall my darlin helped me pre-drill holes for the screws. We attached it with grabber screws right above the bathroom window.
And here is the finished roman shade. I love it! I turned out great, and I think I only spent $10 on the whole thing. It was just what the bathroom needed to finish out the nautical theme.
It was a fun inexpensive project! Love those!